Thursday, January 24, 2013

The surprising truth about what motivates us

Here is a video of a talk given by Dan Pink about motivation in the workplace that I found via Phil Haacks Blog.

The main points I take away from the video are this:

Pay people enough so that money isn’t an issue. After you’ve done this, it turns out that three factors lead to better performance and personal satisfaction:

  1. Autonomy – our desire to be self-directed
  2. Mastery – our urge to get better at stuff
  3. Purpose – making a contribution to a higher goal

I think these are the reasons why I come home after spending 10 hours at work coding only to then spend another 2 or 3 hours working on my own stuff in the evening – I get to do what I want, learn new stuff, and maybe build something cool that I can share with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment